I made it to the commissary(grocery store) today and I survived with the 3 boys in tow! Of course there were no carts when I got there and had to park at the very back of the parking lot, but I expected that. When we got inside I went and asked a girl unloading her cart if I could help her unload and then have her cart. It's not something I would have usually done, but if you would have seen the place you would understand. Surprisingly they weren't out of everything like they were last year with the typhoon warnings. This year they were out of the nursery water but had plenty of other bottled water. I was good on water because I always try to have at least 6 jugs of nursery water (there is no fluoride in the water here) in the pantry at all times during typhoon season anyway. They were out of batteries and all canned chef boyardee things, were running low on tuna and I had to wait in line 10 min for (they had to restock) bread. But it actually wasn't as bad as I expected or remember from last year. The line was wrapped around the store and about a 15 min. wait to check out, but it wasn't much worse than trying to go on a payday Saturday (it's always a mad house). I've tried to keep the pantry well stocked with canned foods and batteries and things since typhoon season started so we were pretty much prepared anyway. I was mainly there to buy things for our normal dinner menu for the next couple days just in case this typhoon does miss us. Last year when there was a typhoon warning (our first) I went out and spent $200 on canned goods, water, and batteries for the flash lights. Then the typhoon never came and I had to go back for normal food for dinners. I learned my lesson. I try to keep the easy stuff stocked like water and canned goods, but I honestly have no idea what to plan for a Typhoon. Some people say to make sure to have enough for at least 3-4 days while others say why bother stocking up when it usually only lasts a day or two. Of course the over reactive mom in me says "what about hurricane Katrina?! I'm sure they didn't think it was going to be that bad, and you just never know..." and then I look in the pantry and think to myself...seriously?! I REALLY don't think we are going to need all this! And what if the power doesn't even go out?
When we came out of the commissary the sky had gotten noticeably darker and the wind has picked up. The breeze cooled it off which is great since the humidity is so bad you can hardly breathe anyway! It's starting to look like a storm is on the way! But when I got home and checked the weather, it looks like it's going to pass just to the south of the island. Of course it has changed projected directions 3 or 4 times already so that doesn't mean anything. At one point they said it would be here Friday... then Thursday... then Friday again and now it's back to Thursday. But I think the slowing of the storm is causing it to build because now they are projecting that it's going to be a Category 2 when it passes or hits us.

I'm kind of hoping it hurries up so Chad can stay home with us tomorrow. Since we've been home from the commissary I've got a really sore throat, my ears are hurting and I'm pretty sure I'm coming down with the flu. AJ laid down for a nap after I gave him some medicine for his fever and runny nose. :( I'm thinking we picked up some germs either at the commissary or the hospital when we were there for stitches. Either way... it's time for me to lay down while AJ is napping!
No comments:
Post a Comment