Saturday, February 21, 2009

Trip to the ER...

I didn't have time to edit any of these pictures so they are all straight out of the camera but if I don't blog now, I may never get to it. =) Remember to click on the pictures for a larger view. =)
On the 16th (last Monday) we took the boys and Bryan to the aquarium...

more on that later. I have so many BEAUTIFUL pictures from that trip that I can't wait to upload and share as soon as I can find some time. The aquarium is on the other side of the island which really isn't that far, but when you can only go 80 clicks (40 MPH) on the expressway, it takes about 2 hours to get there. So after the aquarium I wanted to try this amazing restaurant I've heard so much about called Pizza In The Sky.
I guess they only make one kind of pizza a day and that is what you get but It's made in a real brick oven and is supposed to be the best pizza on the island. I have heard nothing but REALLY good things about this restaurant so I couldn't wait to try it. Plus it's on top of a mountain with an AMAZING view.
The day we went the weather didn't really cooperate and it was REALLY hazy and started sprinkling while we were at the aquarium but we went anyway. When we got to the restaurant there was a wait. So we put our name on the list and took in the view. Even with the haze it was still beautiful!
Well, while we were waiting out side for a table we were laughing at the Japanese fashion...

AJ was carrying his Nerf basketball around and dropped it. When he went after it he tripped and went face first into the corner of a picnic table bench.(like the one in the last picture)
The second it happened, I knew it was bad! Chad scooped him up and turned him over, he was bleeding...BAD! I ran into the restaurant to get a towel for his face. That's when I realized they didn't speak hardly any English. There were 3 women who just stared at me as I was asking for a napkin, towel, or anything! I was doing charades and starting to freak out. The lady handed me a wet nap lol. I grabbed the towel the cook behind the counter was holding and started shaking it at the waitress' trying to make them understand I wanted a clean one. The other lady grabbed one and wet it down for me, they followed me out side and saw that AJ was bleeding all over as Chad Bryan and the boys ran to the car with him. I tried asking the lady where the hospital was, and again... NO ENGLISH. She just looked at me with a very sympathetic look shaking her head. She followed us to the car and while chad was putting AJ in the car the lady kept rubbing my back and my arm. It's amazing how even though she didn't speak English, she still tried to comfort me and was able to show us how sympathetic she was. I love the Japanese people here! They really are sweet and very kind! So we drove down the mountain and 2 hours back the our side of the island to take AJ to the Navy hospital. (The Air force base doesn't have an ER)By that time AJ's face had pretty much stopped bleeding and he was up and smiling. This was him being dramatic in the waiting room...
Once we got to the ER and finally got back to have AJ seen (The ER was busy like all hospitals) the ER doctor took a look at him and had to call in the oral surgeon to take a look at him. Also the anesthesiologist talked to us. AJ had a sippy cup of juice while he was in the waiting room and it wasn't clear juice. So technically he had a full stomach. So they didn't want to give him the normal kind of anthestegia in case he got sick and choked. So we had to wait for the oral surgeon, and anesthesia 's boss (for a second opinion) to be called in. They ended up giving him some local anesthesia and some medication in an IV to calm him down, but he was still awake when they stitched him up

They had to wrap him like a burrito and the 2 anesthesegiologist and Chad had to hold him down while the surgeon stitched him up. AJ is a fighter!

The poor baby!

It was truly heart breaking!



But when it was all said and done... he had gotten 3 stitches on the inside of his mouth,plus 1 deep one to close the hole and 5 on the outside of his mouth.

They said he didn't get the pink part of his lip so that is a really good thing and hopefully the scar won't be to bad.

He did really well the next few days and has been back to himself ever since. But I don't think I will ever be the same after that experience.

Now I realize there is some Japanese I have to work on learning!
This is what he does when you ask him about his owie...this was 2 days after it happened...


Here he is 6 days later he's healing nicely and he looks WORLDS better!

4 comments:

Kim said...

OMG poor baby! I'm glad it is healing so nicely. Poor luke has scars from his stitches in his face. they have faded a ton but I do know how you must have felt. I bet the drive to the hospital was horrible :( since when do you where hats btw? the pics are great other than poor aj's owie!

Kiki said...

were you checking me out?! LOL
I knew it was going to be crappy weather when we left the house with the humidity/sprinkling + wind. That combination is REALLY bad for my hair style! haha So when the wind+humidity is up,and I know I'm going to spend alot of time outside... I wear a hat. I know my shirt and my hat don't match in the picture, but they did when I left the house! At some point I got cold while we were out and put on the long sleve shirt that I had in the car. I had a jacket on also so I still looked decent. Once we got to the ER I got warm and took the jacket off... leaving me with a black shirt and brown hat... but I had on a brown belt... that should count for something...right?! =)

Kiki said...

Oh I and I think the hat went nicely with the bags under my eyes lol =)

Kim said...

well im always checking you out! LOL I just dont know that I have ever seen you wear a hat. Could you imagine the afro I would have there! I'm not sure the brown belt helps your case since you are still wearing a black shirt with it! :) You looked very pretty in the pictures, quit being a turd!